Right: the 1926 Commonwealth Solar Observatory Building with the Farnham six-
Below left and right: remains of the 26 inch Yale-
Below: as the site’s largest and most advanced telescope, the 74 inch reflector was the Observatory’s primary research instrument throughout its lifetime (1955-
Below: remains of the 50 inch Great Melbourne reflecting telescope dome. Originally built for the Melbourne Observatory in 1868, it was given a new lease of life when purchased by Mount Stromlo in 1945 after which it became one of the Observatory’s most productive telescopes. In the 1990s it was used to investigate one of the big mysteries of the universe -
Right and below left: remaining shell of the Director’s Residence. Originally called “Observatory House”, this grand residence was built in 1928 as the home of the founding Director of the Observatory, Walter Duffield and his family. It housed successive directors until 2000 and was a family home until it was all but destroyed in the 2003 fires.
It remained fenced and inaccessible for more than 10 years until the ANU received a grant to stabilize and re-
Right: melted items retrieved from the Director’s Residence following the 2003 fires.