Canberra & Surrounds - October 2015 - Page 6

Photowords - where photos meet words

Heysen Range from Walkandi Peak, Flinders Ranges, South Australia

©2013-15 Grant Da Costa

START BACK TO GALLERY BACK TO GALLERY

Canberra and Surrounds - October 2015 - Page 6


PREVIOUS NEXT

National Gallery of Australia…continued

  NEXT PAGE>>>

Above right: Buddha Shakyamuni in Parileyyaka forest. Thailand, 1822. The small size of the elephant and the monkey at Buddha’s feet reinforces his greatness.

Right: panel of Red-crested Cranes. 18th century Japan. Colour and gold on paper. Panels such as this decorated the castles of emperors and feudal lords.

Art of East Asia

Above: Earth spirit tomb guardians. 8th century Tang Dynasty, China. This pair originally stood guard at the entrance to the tomb of a Chinese ruler.

Calthorpes’ House, Mugga Mugga Cottage, Duntroon Homestead and Red Hill Lookout

Left: Calthorpes’ House, Red Hill. This ACT Historic Home was built in 1927. It is very unusual in that it still contains the original furnishings, household appliances and photos, even the clothes, of the last Calthorpe to live in the house. As such it reflects the fashionable ideal of style and taste in a middle class Australian home of the late 1920s. Today the suburb of Red Hill is the most expensive in Canberra, and is home to many Embassies.

Top right: Mugga-Mugga Cottage, Symonston, built for the head shepherd of Duntroon Sheep Station. Settlement on the site commenced in 1838. The photo shows the cottage on the right,connected to the kitchen at left by a breezeway.

Robert Campbell, a Sydney merchant, established a 4000 acre sheep station encompassing this area in 1825. In 1846 he renamed the property Duntroon after his ancestral Duntrune Castle, Argyll and Bute, Scotland. The property’s magnificent homestead (1833 & extended in 1862) (right) is the oldest residence in Canberra but is now the officers mess in the Royal Military College, Duntroon, following the compulsory acquisition of the property by the Commonwealth Government. This happened in 1910 as part of the establishment of the Australian Capital Territory.

Unfortunately the homestead is not open to the public. The photo was taken from nearby Mt Pleasant (see later in this photo-essay).